Thursday, July 21, 2011

Too Many Updates

Well, what a crazy week it's been.

Only about 10 minutes after welcoming my dad to Peru, some idiot smashed in the window to our cab and my backpack (with my laptop, camera, cellphone, and passport inside) was ripped from my hands and whisked into an awaiting getaway car. Thankfully none of us were hurt, just pretty shaken up. And also quite confused.

There was nothing we could really do to, so we continued on to our hotel to sleep for a few hours before our flight to Cuzco the next morning. We figured I'd still be able to get on the flight using a copy of my passport. Wrong.

7 hours, one police report, 3 trips to the embassy, $135 US dollars and a new passport later, we returned to the airport. Only to miss the check-in for our flight by less than 5 minutes. Figures.Thankfully, Peruvian Airlines was amazing and let us switch our flight to the next day, no charge. We seriously owe them a huge thank you.

After spending the night at Julio's, and successfully boarding our flight, we finally made it to Cuzco. We spent 4 days and 3 (very cold) nights exploring the city, the surrounding ruins, and - finally!- Machu Picchu. It was a truly amazing experience and I'm really glad I got to experience it with my dad. Seeing a history teacher in his element was really funny (sorry dad!) and it was adorable how excited he was.

There is way too much to write about in one post, and in addition I've agreed with Julio that I will be breaking a down the trip to Cuzco into 5 separate blog posts on the Karikuy site. They will come out every few days over the next week or two. So I'll post the links here.

In addition, the program's been winding down, and I have to start thinking about replacing my stolen stuff,  so I've decided to cut the trip short. I'm getting on a plane in a few hours and I'll be home tomorrow morning. It's been a wonderful trip, and I'm sad to leave, but at the same time I'm excited to come home in time for the last month of summer. Barring any more passport issues (crossing my fingers), I'll see everyone tomorrow morning!

Chau!
   *Kate*

No comments:

Post a Comment